Shires Tempest Original 200g Stable Combo
- How to fit a Horse Rug
Tempest Original 200g Stable Combo
When temperatures start dropping the Tempest Original 200g stable combo rug is ideal.
- 210 denier outer
- 200g quilted polyfill
- Adjustable buckle chest straps
- Adjustable cross surcingles
- Fillet string
- Tail flap
Buying the right size of rug
When buying any rug for your horse to wear, fit is key, and should never be underestimated. If you’ve bought the most amazing rug with a whole range of features it could potentially cause more harm than good if it is ill fitting.
The good news is that it is not hard to achieve a good fit - here are our top tips:
- Measure your horse before you go out to your local tack shop. This can be done with a tape measure. Simply put one end of the tape in the centre of your horse’s chest and the other end on the horse's buttocks where you would expect the rug to finish.
- Horse rugs are sized in centimetres, inches or feet and inches - make sure you check what size rug you are getting as a 66" will not fit a 6'6" horse.
- When you've bought the rug, take it home and try it on your horse over a clean bedsheet or clean summer sheet - make sure you leave all the tags on. If the rug fits then remove the tags and use, if not, you might be able to return the rug to the retail outlet you purchased it from as long as it is in a saleable condition- check with your retailer at the time you purchase the rug.
How can I tell if the rug fits?
The rug should fit well over the withers and the shoulders so that the horse can move freely without the rug slipping back.
The straps should be tight enough to hold the rug in place, but not so tight that they cause the rug’s shape to distort on the horse’s back. If too tight they may cause pressure points around the horse’s chest and wither area.
Cross surcingles should be fastened so you can fit a hand’s breadth between the surcingles and the horse’s body. This means that the straps are tight enough to prevent legs becoming caught should the horse lie down, but not so tight to cause discomfort.
If the rug has leg straps, they should be fastened so that the left strap is passed around the left hind leg and fastened back to the left side. The right strap should then pass around the right hind leg, loop through the left strap, and then fasten to the right side. There should be about 4-5” between the strap and the horse’s leg to prevent the rug slipping without causing the horse any discomfort.
Customs Charges and Import Duties
If you place an order with us and you are outside the EU, you may be liable to pay VAT and import duties.
We offer a quick, reliable delivery service for all Horse Rug products world-wide with one of our trusted carriers.
Fedex International Standard > 3-5 business days
Our FedEx Standard service offers a reliable delivery option to your door world-wide. It is available for international orders and the charges are calculated during checkout based on your destination and purchase.
FedEx International Priority > 1-3 business days
Our FedEx Priority service offers a quick and easy solution with a time-definitive delivery. It is available for all international orders and the charges are calculated during checkout based on your destination and purchase.
If you are not completely satisfied for any reason with the products you received, you have 30 days to return your item(s) from the date of delivery for a full refund.
Each item(s) you return needs to be new, unused and in its original packaging. Please note that we do not cover the return shipping costs unless the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.)
To make your return quick and hassle-free please download and fill out this form and attach it to your return parcel, then use one of the methods below to send it back to us.
To Return Your Products (International)
Use your preferred postal/courier service and send your return to:
2F Ard Gaoithe Business Park
Republic of Ireland
Please alert me via email when this product is back in stock.